Monday, February 18, 2008

Back from San Fran

I got back from San Fran late last night. I probably should have put a post up while I was out, but by the end of each day, I was totally wiped out.

Here are some of the things I feel like I walked away with.
  1. The Christian publishing arena is the only consistently growing area of the publishing industry. All other segments are on a roller-coaster like path. You never know if it is going to be an up or a down year.
  2. The Bible in Rhyme may be a tougher sell than I thought. I thought it would probably be fairly simple because it is completely different from anything out there on the market. That actually seemed to be the biggest concern to the two agents I talked to...it is completely different from anything out there. (I don't particularly like competition, so being the only one sounds pretty good to me...but what do I know.)
  3. The industry can't make up its mind about what it wants more...great writing or authors who can sell. I think I've got both, but so did every author at the conference.
It probably sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm really not. My hope was that it would become clear whether I should look for an agent, go straight to the publishers, or self publish. In the end, I think it did become a little bit more clear. I'm going to go after agents and publishers simultaneously for awhile.

I don't like delaying, though, so I am considering either self-publishing or setting up my own publishing company.

I truly believe that the opportunity to help people better understand what the entire Bible says is one that simply can't be passed up. One way or another, I've been called to help spread the Word.

My prayer is that the path becomes clear to me as I proceed. It has too. The more I study and progress, the more I will begin to make decisions. I just pray that those decisions are the ones that God wants me to make, and not my own.

1 comment:

Liane Manso Betton said...

I don't believe that you can go wrong no matter which path you take. Follow your heart.

I went to Catholic school for several years so I can tell you first hand that not everyone is willing to help people better understand God's words. There is a lot that we all take on faith but sometimes it helps to have a little understanding as well.

Good luck and keep me informed.