Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Christian and his Brother

A Christian man was often seen at soup kitchens, halfway houses, and in his own neighborhood ministering to strangers and sharing the Good News. Many knew him as a man of deep faith, having seen the multitudes he brought to faith.

One day the man received a call from the hospital telling him that his brother had been involved in a horrible accident. He rushed to the hospital to be by his brother's side.

When he arrived and saw his brother, he immediately began to weep. The doctors told him his brother had minutes, not hours, remaining. Knowing his brother was an atheist, he went to his brother's side and said, "Please, in these last minutes of life, ask God for mercy so that He will be with you."

The brother, in immense pain, said to him, "I know the work you have done with others, but you never tried to convert me. Not until now. I'm an atheist. It is clear why I would wait until the last minute, but why have you?"

With tears streaming down his face, the Christian man said, "Because you are my brother. And I love you no matter what. I did not want to put a strain on our relationship."

"Because I am your brother, you should have been trying every minute of your life. What do you care if strangers join you in heaven, if I am not there by your side?" And at these words, the brother died.

No comments: