Monday, March 24, 2008

In the World, Not of It

The concept of being "in the world, not of it" is one that many Christians strive to do. It is impossible for most of us, yet we try.

Today I am editing a course that my company has put together for the Joshua Center (www.joshuacenter.com). The Joshua Center focuses on helping the children who suffer from Tourette syndrome and Asperger syndrome, as well as their families and others who interact with the children. They're an amazing non-profit, and they do a ton of great work on a very limited budget. It's a true labor of love!

As I read the course, it talks about how children with Asperger syndrome live "in their own world, but within ours." How similar that sounded to me!

Since Asperger syndrome is a form of autism, I started thinking about whether we are called to be autistic related to the worldly, and it seems like a good comparison. I know that this is something I struggle with, because we're constantly bombarded with materialism, instant pleasure, and trying to keep up with the Joneses. But we're supposed to be autistic towards that, ignoring it as we live in the world that Jesus handed us.

I probably should have made this into a parable (I probably will later on), but I just read it a second ago, and felt compelled to write something...which is good since I've been a slacker lately!

No comments: