Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Ungrateful Woman

Tonight I read a story that is apparently a Zen parable. I was just sure I knew what the end was going to be, but when we got to the end, I was sorely disappointed. I felt it was absolutely the wrong message to send. So tonight, I'm changing that parable around into something that I feel is still applicable to Zen teaching, but more Christian in the ultimate moral.

A rich woman took two attendants with her when she went shopping. The rain poured down while she was shopping. When she exited the store, the sidewalks were flooded.

"Help me!" she yelled at her attendants, but both of their hands were full of sacks and boxes. "You worthless servants," she yelled, slapping at them.

Two men were walking by. The first one saw this woman and was disgusted by the way she was acting. The second walked over to her, lifted her onto his back and carried her to her vehicle. The woman refused to thank the man as she left.

As the two men walked on, the first said to his friend, "Why did you help that woman? Not only was she rude to you, but her behavior was despicable!"

"Why are you so upset by her?" the second man said. "Didn't you realize I did not do that to help the rich woman, I did it to relieve the suffering of her attendants. The rich have the power to help themselves, but the poor need others to help them."

No comments: