Sunday, November 25, 2007

Jesus...Comin'

This November, my son, who is two years, old began telling me in his broken English, "Jesus...comin'...front door." And when I said, "Jesus is going to come through our front door?" he said, "Yeah!" in his high-pitched, excited voice.

I thought it was so sweet.

And I didn't believe him.

But he keeps saying this and I get more and more excited. Especially with Christmas approaching. And the idea of Jesus walking through my front door got me thinking about the Second Coming.

Will Jesus come again...physically, I mean? And if so, will he come as an infant and grow up, or will he come as an adult and immediately start his work? Is he already here?!

Or have we completely misinterpreted the message? Is the Second Coming supposed to be happening every day inside of us? Are we each called to be the reincarnation of Christ by trying to live as Christ instructed us? Is that what was really meant?

If we live our lives believing that we are to each be the Second Coming, not only do we live a better life, but we create a better world as well. And though we can and should hope that Christ will come bodily, if we live like this we expect that our lives must be a fulfillment of his words.

So many believe that the Second Coming will be the stereotypical Armageddon. But to imagine a world in which everyone lives their life as if they are the fulfillment of the Second Coming is to imagine a paradise...not an apocalypse. Christ's message was one of hope through love, not hope through destruction. His message was acceptance, assistance, and care. Not pestilence, plague, and war.

We are interested in mortal annihilation because that is our nature. But Christ was interested in immortal salvation, because that was his nature.

If that was Christ's nature, why do are we all anticipating (and desiring!) a holy war to accompany his arrival? Why shouldn't we expect Christ to allow us to choose his way or an earthly path, as he did during his ministry and testimony?

And why shouldn't he walk through my front door and greet me with love?

Each time somebody comes to my house now, I can't help but think about what my son said. And I try to look for Christ and God's word in each person who enters. And I have to remind myself that I too must be Christlike to them.

Christmas and advent are times to remember, "Jesus...comin'!" So prepare for his Second Coming in your heart, mind, and spirit.

And watch your front door.

No comments: