Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Teacher and the Student

A wise teacher shared a piece of wisdom with his student. The student was so amazed by his teacher’s words that he went out and shared it with everyone. Soon, people began to come to the student seeking his wisdom.

The student, now drunk on his own fame, abandoned his teacher to share his own wisdom with these new students. But soon, his well of knowledge expired, because he did not have the wisdom of his teacher to support him.

In desperation, he went back to his teacher and confessed what he had done. His teacher said to him, “Did you really think I did not know what you were doing? I knew that you had taken my words and passed them off as your own. But why should I care? Does a man truly own the words that come out of his mouth? God inspires men, and men inspire other men to turn to God. That is how it has always been.”

“But what should I do about all of these new students?” the man cried out.

“What do you think you should do?” the teacher responded.

“I should tell them the truth and dismiss them.”

“You fool! Men have come to you wanting to learn. Would you send them away empty handed? Bring them to me. I will share what I know with you and with them, and together we will create teachers for future generations. For no starving man should be turned away by the baker. And no man who seeks knowledge should be turned away by a teacher.”

No comments: