Monday, December 3, 2007

The Boy and His Father

A boy’s father was called by the principal of the boy’s school. The principal said that the boy was in trouble for fighting, so the boy’s father asked his son, “Why were you fighting?”

His son said, “Another boy said you were stupid.”

The father appreciated that his son stood up for him, but he told his son, “I do not want you fighting.”

The next day, the boy was again in trouble for fighting. His father said, “I thought I told you that I did not want you to fight.”

“But a boy at school said that he could beat you up!” the boy stated.

“That may be, but I do not want you to fight.”

The next day it happened again, and the father asked his son, “Why does this keep happening?”

And his son told him, “Today was the worst of all. A boy called you a liar!”

Then the father said, “Son, I love you. I don’t want you to fight, because there is always a better solution than fighting. If another boys says something bad about me, rather than fighting him, I want you to invite him to come home with you. That way he can meet me and know the truth.”

In the same way, if someone disparages the Lord, He does not want someone to fight on His behalf. It only drives the person away from God. If someone curses God, God is not angry with that person. Instead He yearns for his sheep to return to the flock, so He calls us to invite the lost to meet Him. Only in that way can anyone know the truth.

No comments: