Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Three Versions of Psalm 23

I was at a funeral today for a woman who truly lived a full and wonderful life. During the funeral, as it seems in all funerals, Psalm 23 was read. And the power of it hit me more than usual (which I guess is why it is always read at funerals). It made me think about how Psalm 23 reads in The Bible, in The Bible in Rhyme, and in one of my favorite books ever, Stephen King's The Stand. So here are three versions of Psalm 23.


The Lord is my shepherd, and I want for naught.
He leads me beside quiet waters in thought.
He leads me in ways in which my soul’s restored.
He shows me the righteous way. He is my Lord.
I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
and I fear no evil, as God’s in each breath.
I am protected by His staff and rod,
for He is my savior as He is my God.
My table is set in the presence of foes.
I’m anointed by God. My cup overflows.
Goodness and love follow me where I roam.
Forever I’ll dwell in the Lord’s holy home.


The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil:
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

From Stephen King's The Stand:
(This is a quote from the character Tom Cullen, who is
mentally handicapped)

The lord is my shepherd
I shall not want for nothing.
He makes me lie down in the green pastures.
He greases up my head with oil.
He gives me kung-fu in the face of my enemies.
Amen

If you haven't read The Stand, you should. If you have, then you know that Tom Cullen is probably the most likable character ever (M-O-O-N...that spells Tom Cullen). And when I read his version of the 23rd Psalm, I can't help but feel that King got closer to the real fervor of that prayer than even the original.

In the Cullen prayer, there's nothing but fear of the unknown and faith that God will see him through. And that in the end, there's nothing to fear at all, because that kung fu is going to come out of nowhere and save him. That's faith. That's the kind of faith I want to have! I can rally behind that.

Go ahead, Lord, grease up my head with oil. And give me the simple faith to know that You are my shepherd and that Your kung fu is unstoppable!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In reading The Stand for the umpteenth time I always pause at Tom Cullen's recitation of Psalm 23 and believe that is darn near perfect.